Yesterday I took to the sewing machine. I let the kids run wild (they actually weren't that bad) while my littlest slept. I was thinking about thrifting some big mens shirts but I tried that the other day and it just didn't work out. So I went through my stash and found this lovely knit I got from Spotlight a while ago which was waiting for me to make up my mind and cut it up. I had a metre of it and I remember it was on sale. I'm not really into red/coral colours but once I tried it on I really love it on me. You can't see the white detail properly but it really adds a great detail to it and doesn't have any over-powering coral colour.
What I really wanted was to make a top that I could still wear post-natal, therefore breastfeeding friendly. I chose Simplicity's New Look 6697 because it's perfect for knits and I figured I could wing it on the belly and back piece. I will end up making a Spring dress later on.
This is what I ended up with and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I initially cut out a size 14 (38" bust) and it was too big so I went down to size 12.
It was still loose and gaped a bit too much for my liking so I pulled the wrap pieces across, pinned them and sewed them to where I liked so the front and back bodice pieces didn't necessarily sit flat, if you know what I mean.
The bottom panels were made using the pattern piece of the Front Skirt.
I had two rectangle pieces for the bottom panels. For the front piece I gathered it first to allow the fullness of my preggy belly. Then I lay both pieces together and I cut them out both the same size as the skirt piece except I left the length about 45cms. I didn't bother to measure the length really but when I put it over my belly I made sure it covered it with a bit more length. So I sewed my bottom panels together which created a little skirt (if you like). You can adjust the gathers as you need so it fits.
I enlisted the help of hubby to pin the bodice and bottom panel pieces together.
What I should have done was wear it inside out though cos he said he wasn't good at pinning and he was right, lol. At least he tried. The bodice piece was quite long so I ended up chopping off quite a good portion of the botom part. If you can see from the picture on the pattern the skirt part sits rather low. So fit your bodice first and then start on the bottom.
After the kids were put to bed I spent another hour and a half finishing the top.
It would have been finished in an hour if I hadn't pinned it incorrectly and ended up with a wrong side and right side together! Arghhhh.
* So I unpicked carefully and then lay both pieces the right way out. Then I flipped the skirt over the bodice so right sides were together and pinned again. The great thing about knits is that even if the bodice was smaller than the front panel you just stretch out the bodice to fit it.
*Notes: When you sew the front bodice make sure you sew on the seam where you have gathered. If you sew over or under it you can end up with either yucky pleats or you can see the basting stitch or stay-stitch (depending how you've secured the gather).
* I also stretched the fabric as I sewed so that when you wear it you aren't ripping out the stitches ( you know that horrible tearing noise you hear when you're pulling it over you)
* I was meant to have some binding on hand but I didn't so I just doubled over the edges (1/4" twice) and sewed them down. I think they look fine for the bodice. I overlocked the edge of the bottom hemline and then folded up 1cm and stay stitched it 1/4" from the edge. Strangely enough the length was pretty much straight and perfect so I didn't need to cut or measure the bottom.
There's some light blue knit fabric I have in my stash which I think will be another nursing top in the near future now that I have finally made a top I am very happy with. I shall be buying more knits in the future.
I hope you all had a great Easter! We sure did and I am still eating chocolate!
Cheerio and keep on sewing!