Skip to main content

Part Two: Straps, Quilting and Piping.

The toddler backpack is coming along really nicely.
I am just loving the piping detail and by adding an extra layer of interfacing to the zipper and side panels it's going to be quite sturdy.

My only disappointment is how big the zipper panels were which meant you had to trim off about 1.5cms on either side to match the side panels. This is included in the instructions later on but I thought it should have been sized better in the templates. I would say to match the width of the side panels when cutting the zipper panels. I lost some pretty designs on the zipper pieces but it still turned out well.

Also, the straps ended up being too wide to fit through the 25mm strap adjusters so I decided to add an extra piece of nylon which is then sewed into the straps instead. This worked out quite nicely.

Here is some more piping added to the back panel. I wish I had a smaller zipper foot as the side of it kept pushing my piping out which made sewing it in place harder. I had to keep angling the bag to stop this from happening.

I quilted the bottom piece as well and added a thin layer of interfacing to stabilise it.
I also decided to line the front and back panels with an extra layer of calico. Gees, I hope it's not going to be too thick in the end.
Now all I need to do is attach the sides to the base and then sew it to the back panel.
Then add the front panel and we're done!
So maybe one more (baby) sleep to go!


Post a Comment

Thanks for spending time to make a comment. I will try to respond but I'm very sorry if I do not. XOX

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible zipper foot - Birch

I thought I might shed some light on the invisible zipper foot. I bought a Birch model from Spotlight and it came in a little plastic bag with four blue shanks and a rolling foot.

First I removed the standard foot from my Janome sewing machine (Sewist 521). I realised I still needed to remove the shank, which is the part that is screwed on, and holds the interchangeable feet. So with one hand holding the screwdriver and one hand holding my daughter, who just had to watch, it popped out disappeared somewhere. NO! I was about to kick myself but luckily I found it in the basket underneath my table. Phew.

The Birch invisible zipper foot comes with one shank already in place so you know how it's suppose to fit. You have to select the correct shank that fits your machine and slide it onto the foot piece.

I just tried each blue part on my machine and made sure it was wide enough to cover the metal leg bit and that I could fit the screw in it's side. Once you find the correct shank slide…

The cutest labels - Hippo Blue

This is my youngest daughter Jacquie. Jacquie is 3, turning 4 very soon and goes to day care once a week. She also has speech therapy once a week and bad mummy packs her food in plastic bags and old lunch boxes and scribbles her name on paper labels. 
Jacquie is very happy today because she's sporting a brand new lunch box which has her name imprinted on it and it was made by Hippo Blue. Jacquie is in dire need of special name labels and that is where Hippo Blue saved my day and made everything look pretty. Hippo Blue made up a batch of their Vinyl Label Variety pack and I could not be more pleased. I've had other labels before and these ones are quite impressive. Why? well because there's a lot more variety. I like how there are different sizes so I can plaster her name on all her pieces she needs for day care and school.
Did you see those cute footprint stickers? They're shoe stickers. How cool! We also recieved round dots and new square ones which I've never se…

Cooking under pressure

The other day I saw a huge stack of Bellini multifunction cookers in front of Target. Of course the black and sleek packaging and design caught my eye and I stood there having a look at what they were selling. It was an all in one pressure, rice, porridge, cake, steam and slow cooker. It was half price so I really couldn't resist. I plonked it in front of the pram and the toddler walked.
I tried it with rice yesterday and it was fine but wasn't happy about how loud it was as it let out the steam and it spurted rice water over the lid so it doesn't win any gongs in that department. However, I made 15min soy chicken for lunch today so I was really pleased with that. In fact, I don't know how I lived without a pressure cooker for so long! I use to cringe about how it would take me 30mins at least to make a meal and now I can go from frozen to the table in about 25mins. How awesome!
I made this soy chicken using 8 drumsticks, 1/2 cup soy, 1 cup of vegetable stock and set …