Skip to main content

Think twice, cut once.




I sit here on a really rainy day with this on my table. It's the start of my wool skirt.

First things first, I must get around to the most important part of my project : the cutting layout of my pattern. Every sewer knows it is crucial to select the correct cutting layout so you have enough material for your pattern. I've discovered that there are terms I either get confused with or don't know while reading my instructions so here's some things I picked up in my journey...

1. Your pattern will include how to layout your material. In most cases I fold my fabric placing the selvages together. The whaaaat you say? The selvages are the woven ends of your fabric where it is uncut. Sometimes there's those dots running along the length of them. Just don't ask me how they got there. Anyhoo, selvages look really neat and you shouldn't use it when you cut your pattern. Now, the cut ends are on my left end and right end and sometimes need to be trimmed straight so they match up. I hope this makes sense. Below is a picture of a selvage. It's running upwards (vertically).

2. There are different widths of fabric but most commonly you will have either 114cms or 140cms. Your pattern will show you how to place your pattern blocks depending on the width you have. Just measure the length of your cut edge to determine how long yours is.

3. Choose your correct cutting layout so that you have enough fabric. You will need to account for the nap if you have one, which is not a short sleep, but a sewing term for print or design if your fabric has one. A really good guide is <<here>> It's got great explanations.

4. Once you place your fabric also make sure the grain lines are placed equal distance to your selvage. You measure once at the start of the arrow to the end of your selvage and then remember that distance and then measure the end of the arrow, making the end the same distance to your selvage.

5. Finally, take your time. Don't rush because once you start cutting there's no going back.

May the force be with you and don't stress too much about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible zipper foot - Birch

I thought I might shed some light on the invisible zipper foot. I bought a Birch model from Spotlight and it came in a little plastic bag with four blue shanks and a rolling foot.

First I removed the standard foot from my Janome sewing machine (Sewist 521). I realised I still needed to remove the shank, which is the part that is screwed on, and holds the interchangeable feet. So with one hand holding the screwdriver and one hand holding my daughter, who just had to watch, it popped out disappeared somewhere. NO! I was about to kick myself but luckily I found it in the basket underneath my table. Phew.

The Birch invisible zipper foot comes with one shank already in place so you know how it's suppose to fit. You have to select the correct shank that fits your machine and slide it onto the foot piece.

I just tried each blue part on my machine and made sure it was wide enough to cover the metal leg bit and that I could fit the screw in it's side. Once you find the correct shank slide…

The cutest labels - Hippo Blue

This is my youngest daughter Jacquie. Jacquie is 3, turning 4 very soon and goes to day care once a week. She also has speech therapy once a week and bad mummy packs her food in plastic bags and old lunch boxes and scribbles her name on paper labels. 
Jacquie is very happy today because she's sporting a brand new lunch box which has her name imprinted on it and it was made by Hippo Blue. Jacquie is in dire need of special name labels and that is where Hippo Blue saved my day and made everything look pretty. Hippo Blue made up a batch of their Vinyl Label Variety pack and I could not be more pleased. I've had other labels before and these ones are quite impressive. Why? well because there's a lot more variety. I like how there are different sizes so I can plaster her name on all her pieces she needs for day care and school.
Did you see those cute footprint stickers? They're shoe stickers. How cool! We also recieved round dots and new square ones which I've never se…

Cooking under pressure

The other day I saw a huge stack of Bellini multifunction cookers in front of Target. Of course the black and sleek packaging and design caught my eye and I stood there having a look at what they were selling. It was an all in one pressure, rice, porridge, cake, steam and slow cooker. It was half price so I really couldn't resist. I plonked it in front of the pram and the toddler walked.
I tried it with rice yesterday and it was fine but wasn't happy about how loud it was as it let out the steam and it spurted rice water over the lid so it doesn't win any gongs in that department. However, I made 15min soy chicken for lunch today so I was really pleased with that. In fact, I don't know how I lived without a pressure cooker for so long! I use to cringe about how it would take me 30mins at least to make a meal and now I can go from frozen to the table in about 25mins. How awesome!
I made this soy chicken using 8 drumsticks, 1/2 cup soy, 1 cup of vegetable stock and set …