Skip to main content

Turtleneck top

I spent a good hour or so sewing last night and completed the top from my Japanese sewing book. I did make a mistake when interpreting the pattern. I put interfacing where it wasn't needed (but ripped it out) and I did a bit of a terrible job on my last button hole (but you can't really tell... shhhh) but other than that it turned out prettier than I had hoped even if there was a lot to do with the top model that was wearing it, hee hee.

Now all I have to do is source a prettier colour that matches the original picture in my book (which I will order from Tessuti).

On a side note: I did not include a seam allowance when cutting out the pattern as it was meant for children 90cms tall. It fits perfect for my daughter who is 83cms tall. I used a 3/8" s.a when sewing it all together.

So... what do you think?
edit: I have now posted some pics of it on Flickr. Please feel free to ask questions etc. I have also posted a pic of a skirt which is my next project.


  1. OMGosh that is adorable and your DH is so right ti looks very professional!
    Well done Kim you did an awesome job on the top :)
    Your daughter is so beautiful and the top is the perfect fit!
    must be very satisfying! especially when people comment on how cute the top made it!

  2. your top is gorgeous! I love how the neck falls down on one side and the little model is very cute!

  3. The top is gorgeous as well as the model. Well done. I have this book in the way, I can't wait to get it now!

  4. I've been looking at getting the same Japanese book as the one you have, and after seeing this gorgeous top I will definitely be getting it! You seem to have made some very funky clothes from it!


Post a Comment

Thanks for spending time to make a comment. I will try to respond but I'm very sorry if I do not. XOX

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible zipper foot - Birch

I thought I might shed some light on the invisible zipper foot. I bought a Birch model from Spotlight and it came in a little plastic bag with four blue shanks and a rolling foot.

First I removed the standard foot from my Janome sewing machine (Sewist 521). I realised I still needed to remove the shank, which is the part that is screwed on, and holds the interchangeable feet. So with one hand holding the screwdriver and one hand holding my daughter, who just had to watch, it popped out disappeared somewhere. NO! I was about to kick myself but luckily I found it in the basket underneath my table. Phew.

The Birch invisible zipper foot comes with one shank already in place so you know how it's suppose to fit. You have to select the correct shank that fits your machine and slide it onto the foot piece.

I just tried each blue part on my machine and made sure it was wide enough to cover the metal leg bit and that I could fit the screw in it's side. Once you find the correct shank slide…

The cutest labels - Hippo Blue

This is my youngest daughter Jacquie. Jacquie is 3, turning 4 very soon and goes to day care once a week. She also has speech therapy once a week and bad mummy packs her food in plastic bags and old lunch boxes and scribbles her name on paper labels. 
Jacquie is very happy today because she's sporting a brand new lunch box which has her name imprinted on it and it was made by Hippo Blue. Jacquie is in dire need of special name labels and that is where Hippo Blue saved my day and made everything look pretty. Hippo Blue made up a batch of their Vinyl Label Variety pack and I could not be more pleased. I've had other labels before and these ones are quite impressive. Why? well because there's a lot more variety. I like how there are different sizes so I can plaster her name on all her pieces she needs for day care and school.
Did you see those cute footprint stickers? They're shoe stickers. How cool! We also recieved round dots and new square ones which I've never se…

Cooking under pressure

The other day I saw a huge stack of Bellini multifunction cookers in front of Target. Of course the black and sleek packaging and design caught my eye and I stood there having a look at what they were selling. It was an all in one pressure, rice, porridge, cake, steam and slow cooker. It was half price so I really couldn't resist. I plonked it in front of the pram and the toddler walked.
I tried it with rice yesterday and it was fine but wasn't happy about how loud it was as it let out the steam and it spurted rice water over the lid so it doesn't win any gongs in that department. However, I made 15min soy chicken for lunch today so I was really pleased with that. In fact, I don't know how I lived without a pressure cooker for so long! I use to cringe about how it would take me 30mins at least to make a meal and now I can go from frozen to the table in about 25mins. How awesome!
I made this soy chicken using 8 drumsticks, 1/2 cup soy, 1 cup of vegetable stock and set …